By Night when Others Soundly Slept
1
1 By night when others soundly slept
2 And hath at once both ease and Rest,
3 My waking eyes were open kept
4 And so to lie I found it best.
2
5 I sought him whom my Soul did Love,
6 With tears I sought him earnestly.
7 He bow'd his ear down from Above.
8 In vain I did not seek or cry.
3
9 My hungry Soul he fill'd with Good;
10 He in his Bottle put my tears,
11 My smarting wounds washt in his blood,
12 And banisht thence my Doubts and fears.
4
13 What to my Saviour shall I give
14 Who freely hath done this for me?
15 I'll serve him here whilst I shall live
16 And Loue him to Eternity.
Reflection:
Anne Bradstreet tells how her mind wanders as she laid in bed trying to go to sleep, but she could not fall asleep. She lied their thinking of the one who created her that her soul loved. She prayed that as she laid in bed praising how he gave her life freely so that she could be what she wanted to be. She knew that even when she had troubles like when she cried, she knew he was around to protect and comfort her. She was ever so thankful of God her lord and savior that she would serve him through eternity.
Dear Diary:
We are aboard the ship with many other who believe in a more religious way of life and in this new world we wish to spread that knowledge throughout the land. Man of the travelers are the ones that attend church on a daily basis, but do not believe in the words that are spread by the priests. Unfortunately paper was not a necessity to pack along this trip, but my parents say that I can continue my thoughts in the new world taught their way of religion or what they believe is the right way.
Anne Bradstreet (1612-1672)
Posted by John Graham at 2:05 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment